About Us

school pic
 

Antonia Elementary became a part of the Fox C-6 School District through annexation in 1970.  The school currently serves an area bordered on the north, south, east and west respectively by the Clyde Hamrick and Seckman attendance areas, Hillsboro School District, Windsor School District and Northwest School District.

 

Mission Statement

 

To provide a foundation for students to become productive citizens in their community through education, empowerment, and character development.

 

Goals

  Strive for academic excellence
  Promote a family atmosphere at our school
  Instill a respect for our peers, school, and country 

Antonia Elementary History

            In the beginning there were four one room school houses in the area.  The Leicht School about 1 ½  miles down West Moss Hollow RD, the Moss Hollow School about 1/1 mile down Lemay Ferry RD, Antonia School about 1 ½ miles down Old Lemay Ferry RD, and the Four Ridge School, then located where the Clyde Hammerick campus is now located.  All of these schools are still standing and are private residences.

            In the fall of 1951, the four schools became Reconsolidated District 4 (R-4), and school was held in the Antonia School building.  This building then consisted of what is now the Kindergarten area.  The school taught 1st thru 8th grade.  Then about 90% of the students went to 9th grade at Herculaneum, House Springs, Hillsboro, or Crystal City.  The school colors were dark green and white, and the mascot was a Hornet.  The first graduating class had 19 students.

            There were two school buses that the teachers drove.  Whichever teacher had bus duty, had to be at work one hour earlier and stay one hour later.  The buses made two runs each morning and evening.  There were four teachers employed and Mr. Larken served as principal.  Another teacher was hired for the beginning of the 1951-1952 school year.  There were 86 students.  There wasn’t a secretary, but there wasn’t an office or even a telephone then either.  In fact the closest phone was in town at the store, funeral home, or tavern.

            In 1951 the current Art Room was the cafeteria. A Mrs. Dollie Jacobs started the hot lunch program in 1952.  The kitchen was where art supplies are now kept.

            The classrooms served as the music and art room.  In fact Miss Dorothy Warren’s class was held in the cafeteria.  When another class wanted lunch, her students would have to go outside, or during bad weather, into the hallway.

            In 1954 the gym, office, and classrooms were added. The first Christmas program was held in the gym in 1954.  By the beginning of the 1955-1956 school year, the construction was complete.  There were now four buses still being driven by teachers.

            In 1958 the next section of classrooms was completed, and finally in 1961 the last section was complete and extended all the way to the now 5th grade classrooms.

            In 1970 an election was held to join Fox C-6 School District.  The graduation class of 1970 went to Fox High School.